This is delicious, delicious, delicious! Turned out better than I imagined. You could probably get someone to love you just by giving them this.* Yes, it really is that good!
Prep. time: 25 minutes. Cost: Less than $10. Serves: 6 big mugs.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 8-ounce cups strong brewed coffee (I used Starbucks Espresso grounds or you can just double the amount of coffee grounds you normally would use to brew coffee)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons course sea salt **
- 2 cups milk
- Whipped-cream (optional but highly recommended)
- Add sugar and 1/2 cup water to a medium saucepan. Stir. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Let it boil, without stirring it, until it’s a dark amber color. Be very careful not to burn it. You may need to move the pan around (if you’re using a gas stove) so that the flame isn’t always heating the exact same spot & thus burning part of it. It took me 17 minutes to get it to a dark amber color. It may take you more or less time.
- Remove pan from heat and slowly & carefully (the hot sugar will splatter) add the heavy cream steadily while whisking fast and consistently. You might need two people to do this (I did) ~ one of you whisking, the other pouring in the cream. If you don’t whisk fast enough, it’ll clump. No worries, just add all the cream then put the pan over low heat, stirring the whole time, until it’s smooth and creamy again.
- Add the caramelized sugar you just made from the above steps to the Crock-Pot.
- Add coffee, sea salt, vanilla, and milk to the Crock-Pot.
- Cover & cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Stir then ladle into mugs (refrigerate any leftover).
- Top with whipped-cream (optional).
- Be careful, it’ll be very hot.
*Love potion results not guaranteed.
**I like it salty. If you don’t, use less salt.